Ugo Fadini report and FIA.

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ugo Fadini report and FIA.
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:31:13 -0400
List members,

Just so you do not think I have fallen asleep over here ........here is my
take on outright records and the FIA once again.  I must be one of the 1% -
but how many in number are represented by that small percentage?  Smacks of
the tale that 67% of all statistics are made up.......(or did I make that
up!).

For those who hate everything FIA delete now!

Whilst accepting that John B and all other racers on this list are setting
(or hope to set) World Class records to SCTA/BNI/USFRA/ECTA rules - the
outright FIA fastest mile or kilo speeds do not come from such class cars -
its a game for the unlimited streamliners.

The FIA is no longer a totally French organisation - it is made up of
representatives of countries and forms of motorsport run throughout the
world - and it is led by a Briton (Max Moseley).  It does not organise land
speed record attempts (it overseas them at cost to the competitor) and has
never created any form of competition known as "land speed racing".

The benefit of adhering to the FIA way of setting a four wheel record is
that the method has remained unchanged in over 90 years.  So if you break a
record today it demonstrates the innovations and technical advancements
made over the whole of that time.  What Al Teague or Don Vesco and their
teams did can be directly compared with the efforts of people such as
Malcolm Campbell, George Eyston, Bill Summers and Donald Campbell with
their teams.  Andy Green's supersonic record can be compared with the first
jet record of Tom Green.  (This consistency even includes what work is done
to the vehicle in the one hour between runs - regardless of how complex the
machinery may now have become).

May I suggest (and this is not a criticism of either side) that it is the
way that the FIA recognised organisation in the USA may (or may not) work
with land speed racing event organisers in your country that can make the
whole process such a lengthy affair once the clocks have stopped on the
return run made within one hour.  And before any organisers in the US jump
up and down again, I do recognise the problems of a racing event with a
large entry running two way runs in a set time on a natural surface such as
dirt or salt with a highway at the end of the course..........

Must now get back to my home decorating and thoughts of an SCTA eligible
Competition Coupe entry with aerodynamic nose and staggered front wheels!

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England