Race Car Prep and Checklists

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Race Car Prep and Checklists
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:33:29 -0500
        Well I've taken some time to sort out the problems of Speedweek....
Still
have to do the motor thing... and the Trans...

        This year on the salt it was all about having a good time.... I like to
set myself goals and have a focus for each year's racing.... it gives me
something to keep in the back of my head as I make decisions on the little
stuff....  Soooo when I evaluated the trip this year..... First off.... I
had a good time.... really got to hang out with my friends a bit more then
in the past.... and got to kick back.... VERY COOL in someways... the
reasons for it just stunk...

        For the next year I have set the goal of "Preparation to race" as the
main
focus.... ( having Fun goes without saying )   So what I've done is got out
the old checklists and dusted them off.... starting sorting out what stays
and what goes... and how much each of them actually helped...

        When it comes to checklists... the key is to have a single word that
acts
like the old story tellers links to memory.... in other words a single word
takes into account several steps or actions... The old story tellers would
mentally link a particular place in their homes to the starting of a
story... and the story would come to them as they looked at that spot....
I'm kinda doing the same thing with the checklists.....

So what I have is an abbreviated check list to look at which keys my mind
to those things I need to do at that time to be better prepared to race.

The other thing I'm doing is committing to a Full Maxton Schedule.  The
idea being that racing the car and setting up 6 more times before
Bonneville next year will get me more and more prepared to race on the
salt..... Practice makes perfect you know...

Just thought I'd share a bit of what's going on.....

Keith