Re: Race bike Stability and Safety

To: "Waldron, James" <James.Waldron@CWUSA.COM>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Race bike Stability and Safety
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 16:28:46 -0700
Well, ya'll keep on thinking that you can hang a paper cutout and find CP.
What you find in the center of gravity of the paper cutout. What if the
rocket has 3 fins how do you make that cut? In four fins what happened to
the two that are not in profile? You could make a model of the rocket,
weighted the same and swing it on a string starting at the CG. Then
gradually move the string attach point until it becomes unstabel and wants
to fly backwards or in some other fashion than normal. I would like to see
an experiment done. I may have to eat one of the big Pahrump crows,
though...

Log onto http://www.my.execpc.com/~culp?rockets/Barrowman.html

Use that method to calculate a CP and then cut out the paper planform and
hang it at the calculated CP. If it is nuetral in stability (just hangs
there perfectly) Then bring on the crow! I'll eat it at the next Speed Week
Salt Talks...But remember watch the fins and include them all in the
calculations.

mayf