Re: GT40 spinner

To: "Dan Warner" <dwarner@electrorent.com>,
Subject: Re: GT40 spinner
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 15:00:02 -0700
Neil, list
The tire issue seems to pop up every year. I only wish I had kept a record
of the vehicles running wide tires and how many spun. The number is large.
We have seen many types of wide treaded, aircraft, Nascar, alloy wide drag
lo-profile etc. The wide tires just don't get the same traction as the
narrow bonneville tire. It doesen't take a lot to get on top of the salt
dust, or marbles to loose traction. For some reason the wide tires do this a
lot sooner and when they do it's hard to keep the vehicle straight.

There are very few cars that have exceeded 230-240 mph with wide tires. I
have seen countless spins on the salt from the timing trailer over the years
and can almost tell where the car is going to spin. Like Dan stated we takes
bets on them. It's not a joking matter just fact that the history of narrow
vs wide the narrow is going to be the best tire for the salt.

Last year the tire issue came up with a lot of discussion on the pros &
cons. I am sure they are still in the achrives on this site.

Glen