RE: GT40 spinner

To: "gary baker" <lsr350@hotmail.com>,
Subject: RE: GT40 spinner
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 22:31:06 -0500
Gary:
Your description of the salt at Bonneville seems to me appropriate for the
salt I saw there last year-- and all the problems you ascribe to such salt
seem to me accurate for that time.  Since it was my first time to
Bonneville, I assumed that "that's how the salt is at Bonneville-- and it's
a big impediment to going fast, so it is the first thing I want to learn to
deal with."

But this year at SpeedWeek, the salt was completely different.  It seemed to
me more like the salt you descrine for Lake Gairdner-- hard and relatively
dry, with little "loose stuff".  It didn't rut-up like it did last year, and
nobody seemed to be throwing nearly as much "roost".  I was really
surprised.  The old-timers just explain: "well, the salt isn't always the
same".
Russ