Re: Full-Flow Oil Filters

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Full-Flow Oil Filters
From: ardunbill@webtv.net
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 09:43:26 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Folks, before we depart forever from this topic, there are still a
couple of nagging questions about the legendary "Franz" toilet-paper oil
filter, that have been on my mind for about fifty years now, since first
I read about it.

1.  How can a high volume of oil be pumped through a dense roll of
toilet paper without a. disintegrating it, or b. a tremendous pressure
drop, so that there is hardly any oil pressure at the outlet?

2.  Also, since toilet paper in general is designed to disintegrate in
liquid, so that it doesn't clog up those septic tanks in the boondocks
of Texas, or Virginia, why does not this oil pumping through the toilet
paper oil filter carry away with it a mass of white particles that will
fill up the engine with "detritus"?

As one of my workmates used to say, "I don't understand all I know about
this."

Ardun Bill