Re: plating effects

To: Paul Bland <paul.blandavon@btinternet.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: plating effects
From: Rick Byrnes <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:55:28 -0400
Paul

Electroplating of carbon steel is not recommended.  The steel picks up
Hydrogen molecules in the process, and embrittlement is experienced.  It can
be combated with an immediate heat treat after the last bath, but we can
never be assured of complete release of the H molecules unless we control
the process.  The more sophisticated alloys are more affected. SAE 4130 more
than 1010 or 1020 steel.
It is my understanding that NHRA no longer allows chrome plating on Top Fuel
cars.
Since our speeds in many cases approach or exceed the TF guys, following
their lead is most prudent.

I'm not gonna do it.
I will be using a number of HPC coatings, some that are bright and shiny,
but no chrome.
I am not a metallurgist, and can't really elaborate on this subject.  I'm
just following the advice they provide.

Rick