plating effects

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: plating effects
From: Finishline Coatings <lona@finishlinecoatings.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 09:56:47 -0700
List.....this is not an advertisement...it is only meant to inform.
It's already  been said that hydrogen embrittlement occurs in the
plating process...this is true.  It happens to all types of metal,
whether it be mild steel ---1018-1020-1026  all the way up to 4130 -
4340 etc.
The greater the carbon content in the sub straight, the more it is
effected.
Someone talked about "ceramic coating"....A lot of these coating were
originally developed as thermal barriers.  However, it was soon learned
that they had other possibilities.  The "silver" - which is the most
popular- or known as "metallic ceramic coating" is a tremendous rust
inhibitor.  It is a ceramic water-based coating with aluminum added.  It
is sprayed and baked and then polished to a high luster...almost like a
chrome finish.
All coating companies use this silver metallic ceramic coating   in one
form  or another.  Some mix their own, some buy the basic  product and
then modify it to their own needs.  Any metal part can be coated except
pot metal and magnesium.
We coat all types of suspension parts, axles, sway  bars, torsion  bars,
A frames, hinges, intake manifolds, and valve covers. etc/
It is also more cost effective than chrome and there is no hazardous
waste involved, no acids, etc.
Now, I am only going to mention one thing concerning my own company.
Finish Line Coatings is the only company in the world that has developed
coatings for the Land Speed Racer.  Why???  because it's one of my
passions. Cars that we have used for research and development have
been:  Treit and Davenport's lakester, Skip Hedrich's stream liner,
Arden Doug's Roadster, Jack Costella's streamliner, J.D. Tone's
roadster, Rick Y. and Jack's streamliner, Doug Robinson's BMR coupe and
of course  our own car.
Sometimes these coatings don't work as good as we would like the first
time, or they flake off, so we have to keep working at it until we get
them right.  But  that's why we do research and development. Feel free
to contact the above people about our products.
Remember, just because someone advertises that their product is "very
hard" does not mean it will stay on parts that get blasted with salt.
There is no paint or powder coating or epoxy that will withstand the
force of salt thrown from the front tires to the back of some cars.
Especially open wheel cars.
If you doubt me, contact Marlo Treit and ask him what he did to overcome
this problem.  Right now I am making stainless steel shields to cover
certain parts of Skip Hedrich's streamliner because the front wheels
throw salt back - which wants to saw the  body in half above 250 miles
per hour.  Remember, air flow over different shapes determines how the
salt will hit the parts of the car.
Russ Meeks
Finishline Coatings/R.M. Engineering

P.S. Paul, please contact me off the list and I'll put you in touch with
a coating company in the UK.