Re: Ice Intercooler

To: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Ice Intercooler
From: Glenn Ridlen <gridlen@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 19:23:16 -0800 (PST)
Dick
I have not done it myself and am certianly not an expert but I do know
something about thermo dynamics. I am also thinking about using a turbocharger
with an intercooler so I have done a little research. Some of your questions
are interrelated. You have to start with how much air you are going to flow and
what temperature it will be leaveing the blower. The blower people can tell you
that. Then you need to determine how much you want to cool the air. I wouldn't
worry about condensing your fuel. Depending on blower type, speed and pressure
the leaving air can be over 300 degrees. If you can get it back down near 100
that would be a lot.That will size your air to water exchanger size and pump
size. At this point you will know your BTU flow rate. That and time will
determine the amount of ice you need. This is a little over simplified. Things
like water supply and return temperature which are effected by flow rate and
ice surface available for heat exchange will also effect the air to water
exchanger capacity. You can see we have already gone full circle but the heat
transfer side of it is not as difficult as it sounds. You just have to start
with some known values and that is the area that I still need to learn, but I
can do the math for you when we have numbers to work with. I talked to a guy on
the salt in october that had run a home made intercooler with ice on a
turbocharger. Don't remember how big it was but he said he melted 40 lbs of ice
on a run. He also said that if he forgot to switch on the pump til half way
down it was like hitting a nitros button. I will be glad to help in any way I
can and I'm sure I will learn some things that will help in my project.

                     Glenn
 Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com> wrote:Has anybody on the list ever used or messed
with ice intercooling? I'm slowly but surly setting up a GMC-blown Chrysler
hemi. I've heard that an intercooler can and should be used, but I'm not sure
how. I'm using carburetors on top of the blower. Does the intercooler just go
between the blower and the intake manifold? How big should it be? Or more
correctly, how small can it be? How much water flow does it need? How much ice
water supply does it need? Since the fuel will already be in the incoming
charge, won't it cause the fuel to condense and form droplets in the intake?
Last but not least, does anything have to be done differently when running fuel
(alky+nitro) instead of gas?
Any other thoughts or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Dick J in East Texas