Re: Re: Brake down in memory

To: ardunbill@webtv.net, wmtsmith@landracing.com, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: Brake down in memory
From: Glenn Ridlen <gridlen@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 08:54:49 -0800 (PST)
Ardunbill
Look at item #3 on this site. He doesn't recommend residual valves but if you
use them not more than the pressures you mentioned. Also look at what he says
about master cylinder location and caliper orentation. In a car like Skips it
may be difficult the keep the master cylinder much above the wheel cylinders.

               Glenn
http://www.thebrakeman.com/tinstallation
bill@webtv.net wrote:Bill, my understanding is that with disc brakes there is
'always' a 2
psi residual pressure (check) valve in the system to keep the pads
brushing on the discs, and with the drum brakes, a 10psi ditto to
balance the strong pull-off springs here. That's the way Flatlanders
Hot Rods built my #124 roadster, and when I re-arranged
the brakes to use Tilton master cylinders for both brakes and clutch, I
kept the residual pressure valves, the logic appealed to me even though
the pads might drag a little at both ends. The car has GM discs on the
front, and 11" Ford drums on the back, and I noticed that the Ford
brakes just float around in the drums, not definitely located at all
except by the wheel cylinders. So there is going to be a little bit of
drag.

I see what you are saying about pushing the pads back on Russ' bike at
the Salt Flats, of course. He wouldn't need instant response of the
brakes there, but we do want same at Maxton.

Noting what Skip said about a little air in the lines, it must be almost
impossible to not have a little bubble here and there, even if you bleed
'em until the cows come home. Regards, Bill