Re: Intercooler Icing

To: Elon Ormsby <ormsby1@llnl.gov>
Subject: Re: Intercooler Icing
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 06:16:59 -0500
I think if we look at the data provided from this link
http://www.fishcreekflyingclub.com/safety/carbice/
there is something to be learned and it all makes sense. Most of the time there
is icing it involved a delta p in the throttle assembly. There is less pressure
on the engine side than the atmosphere side. The closer that the engine is to
atmospheric there should be a lot less chance as there is no delta p to and no
pressure drop to cause further cooling. I would suspect very strongly that at a
typical 1" of mercury pressure drop at WOT that it is pretty hard to ice the
intake under anything that looks like a normal dew point and temperature. If you
look at the graph most if not 90% of the icing section is under the cruise or
glide mode of operation. That is when the engine is not loaded as much and the
throttles are pulled back from WOT. I am not a pilot but would you use carb heat
on take off as that is what we are doing.. A long high speed taxi. The last 10%
of possible icing conditions are in some pretty rare circumstances. The graph i
would like to see is carb icing at a delta P in the throttle that is
representative of WOT at various temps and dew points.
Dave

<snip>