Intercooler icing

To: "LSR-List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Intercooler icing
From: "Elon" <netstuff@attbi.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 18:24:15 -0800
"Waldron, James" wrote (snip)...My guess is that the blower heat of
compression coupled with the dry desert air will make it very difficult
to achieve enough cooling to cause icing. (my 2 cents.)

Dave Dahlgren wrote (snip)...Most of the time there is icing it involved
a delta p in the throttle assembly. There is less pressure on the engine
side than the atmosphere side. The closer that the engine is to
atmospheric there should be a lot less chance as there is no delta p to
and no pressure drop to cause further cooling.

James and Dave, thanks for the feedback and additional information.  A
quick sort on Google produced a multitude of links with dew point
information.  Suffice it to say that the average dew-point during the
month of August at Wendover is 41 deg f and Salt Lake is 47 deg f.  I
imagine when one of those thunder heads come drifting through it is even
a higher dew point. Many a car has gone down the track when the pit
tarps have been rolled up!!!

http://www.wrcc.dri.edu/htmlfiles/westcomp.dp.html

I completely agree Dave, there should be no MP drop at WOT in a boosted
system and I expect with your trick slide valves the delta p would be
zero at WOT  :-)   That is not the issue I am addressing.  With an
ice-water intercooler, assuming a good efficient design, some part of
that cooler just has to be 32 deg f. I can imagine all kinds of
dimensional variables according to the application (but to overly
simplify for understanding)  lets say you have 500 f going in and you
make it infinitely long enough to have 32 deg coming out. During that
transition you have cooled BELOW the dew point.  You simply have to have
condensation, and probably icing, at the coldest point along the walls
of the tubes. I realize it won't be infinitely long because the poor Cv
and delta p would make it useless. So the AREA would be sized to get the
job done, fit within the confines of the car, and be a reasonable depth
(<4"). With a large area, air velocities would be low, giving good
efficiency, but encouraging icing.  Can you imagine the problem with an
CO2/ethanol slurry?

Now all that being said, I still haven't forgotten your posting Dave,
about too low an air/fuel temp.  40 deg was the lower limit (for
gasoline) but as you can see that is still below the dew point. And if
one wanted to run methanol ???

So I assume I am wearing you guys out (and the rest of the list) by
dragging this on. So before the flames start (thanks everyone for your
patience) you can contact me off-line.  I'll keep track of the nuggets
and post them in the future.  -Elon