Tow Bar - Thanks for the responses

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tow Bar - Thanks for the responses
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 12:43:36 -0800
Ok, gang, I have decided to build my tow bar. I ordered the 2 heim ball end
fittings from McMaster-Carr. Rated at 6700 pounds each in the radial
direction. A total of 13,400 pounds which is nearly 6 times the weight of
the car. Enough safety factor here? Yeah, prolly. The tow bar itself will be
made from 1 inch square tubing, 2 legs from the coupler to each of the end
fittings. The end fittings "nut" will be welded to a frame adapter and cross
bolted to the frame horns. The bar will be fully triangulated. I will put a
small safety cable on the system just in case the frame horns of heims let
go (although, the through bolts will be in double shear and 1/2 inch in
diameter, so I really dont see this happening). When I get it finished, I'll
add pics to the web site..

Many, many thanks to all who rresponded with good advice..to all others the
bronx raspberry... <grinning>

mayf