Tucson Mexican Food Not Hot - - HA!

To: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>,
Subject: Tucson Mexican Food Not Hot - - HA!
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 13:34:19 -0800 (PST)
 "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com> wrote:... ...It is NOT hot, just spicy
and full of flavor.
HA!  Back when I was flying for Uncle Sam, we had a crew member who prided
himself on devouring hot, Mexican food.  He carried Tobasco with him to eat on
crackers. He added it to everything he ate.  Once, while stopping over at D-M,
one of the local guys took us to a small, back-road Mexican place somewhere not
far from some railroad tracks.  When the waiter came, Jim asked what was the
hottest thing on the menu.  The little waiter repeated: "Hottest thing on the
menu??"  Then he added: "Oh, senior, the hottest thing is not on the menu."
Yeah, that's what I want then, and a cold Cervesa, replied Jim.  I ordered a
lot more conservatively.  The little man walked to the back of the long narrow
dining room, and through a swinging, squeaky door into the kitchen.  A moment
later, the door squeaked a little, the waiter leaned out, and another man,
presumeably the chef, peeked around the edge of the door as the waiter pointed
at Jim.  I caught a glimpse of a smile as the two retreated back into the
kitchen.
I loved my lunch.  That was the only time I ever saw Jim cry.  It was the only
time I ever saw Jim not be able to finish his meal.  He demanded that the
waiter bring the chef out.  I feared a fight was to follow, and could just
imagine the Tucson police showing up and delaying my trip home.  To my
surprise, Jim stood up, shook the chef's hand, told him it was, without a
doubt, the best, and hottest damned meal he had ever had in his life (while
clearing tears from his eyes), and tipped the chef with a twenty dollar bill
(for a $3.99 lunch).  That kind of tip was usually reserved only for topless
waitresses at the Saigon Tea Room outside Pope AFB in Fayettville, North
Carolina!
Find that little Mexican place near the railroad tracks, and you will never
again claim than Tucson/Mexican food is not hot!
Dick J