FW: Mexican food comments ...

To: "Land Speed" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Mexican food comments ...
From: "Dana" <dana@goulston.net>
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 23:29:00 -0800
Sorry folks,

It ain't the acidity that gets you the burn ... if it were, the acid would
have been neutralized or at least diluted by the pH 2+ Hydrochloric acid in
the tum-tum and certainly by the time it finished making its way through the
lengths of colon and connsequently wouldn't burn your tush on the way out.

Capsaicin is oil-based which is why it lasts the entire trip pretty much
intact and is why it's hard to dilute in the mouth.

Here's some fun reading. It has the Scoville chart and various pepper
ratings:
http://easyweb.easynet.co.uk/~gcaselton/chile/scoville.html

By the way, the hot stuff opens the blood vessels which increases
circulation (a very good thing), and also has the added nice side-effect as
Gary mentioned of releasing endorphins from the brain (yee-haa!) which is
why we love it so.

Dana
[bored on a Saturday night]