RE: Stress relief

To: "Steve Christophersen" <sotacd@ameritech.net>,
Subject: RE: Stress relief
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 17:47:23 -0600
Steve:
thanks for giving us something besides conjecture to consider.

I haven't read it all yet, but so far I have been unable to resolve one
difficulty I have with this concept:

When you relax internal stresses through heat treatment, there are
diminsional changes (warping or distortion) in the treated parts, of
magnitude proportional to the original residual stress.  How can this
vibrational "stress relief" actually be relieving internal stresses without
causing similar distortions?  It is the distortions that are the real
EVIDENCE of stress-relieving.

Also, these folks do not speak very scientifically.

However, I am still interested in this possibility, and intend to read more
from that site.

Thanks again.
Russ, #1226B