DON VESCO

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: DON VESCO
From: "Glen Barrett" <speedtimer@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 09:04:18 -0800
This past Saturday a part of history was laid to rest. Don Vesco who spent his
life racing in many forms and always a winner is now traveling at the speed of
light in that perfect race track in the sky. Don is not alone as many of his
race friends are there to add him to the team. A standing room crowd of
friends, family, business associates, crew members and others that knew Don
and held respect for his racing achievements.

Don know what it took to go fast, along the way to success there were many
rough spots or bumps in the road. These only slowed Don down and gave him time
to work out the answers to make it work. Many guests talked about Don and how
his life was part of theirs. They told funny things and tricks Don played on
them, the nick names they were called and what a determined man Don was. He
would get an idea and not only talk about it he would try it. If it worked he
would make it better.

He would go out of his way to help others when asked, he would make
suggestions without being asked. Don cared about everyone around him. He was
never alone as he drew a following like a giant magnet everywhere he went, in
the pits there was almost  always a line to see the man and his racer, Don
acknowledged the fact that people were curious and he would try to answer
their questions when he could. There was always someone taking pictures and
videos of the action. When the car went to the starting line the rail birds
were in their selected place along the course.

Once the Vehicle and it's pilot Don Vesco were under way every eye along the
course and the pit barrier followed the run from start to finish. Announcing
his speeds along the run was no easy task as he would go through the last two
miles in around seven seconds and that was faster then I could announce them.
We have all seen aborted runs due to mechanical failures, blown tires and just
not getting the power needed to go fast. This never stopped Don and his crew
to not try again if they could fix the problem.

Land speed racers are a special breed of people that are dedicated a sport
that gives one a trophy and a certificate for their efforts. Each one has a
goal and a personal best. Some are never reached but continue to try year
after year. Don's goal was to go 500 mph and I think he would have done it if
given more time. Don was the master in being innovative and building his dream
in the shop and showing the world it would work. Don was not only an over
achiever, he was the ultimate achiever.

Don was laid to rest in his red driving suit much in the reclining position as
he would be in his TURBINATOR on that record setting run.

It was my pleasure to have been a small part of his life and to have timed his
fastest runs and records. I will always treasure his friendship and will
always think of him as a hero. Don, GOD SPEED on your new race track in
heaven

Glen Barrett