RE: aaircraft scrap yards

To: "'Dick J'" <lsr_man@yahoo.com>, "'Russel Mack'"
Subject: RE: aaircraft scrap yards
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 14:53:26 -0600
Dick;

Those wonderful aircraft scrap yards are not completely gone but 90% of
those old "goodie piles" are, indeed, closed now. One of my favorites was a
place where I could wander around as long as I wanted, and at the end of the
day bring a good-sized box into the office where the fellow would go through
a charade of looking into the box to see how much it was worth. It was
always about ten bucks. I found out early in the game that if you brought in
one piece, a handful, or a whole box, the price was always around ten bucks.

Those aircraft salvage yards were a great source for hydraulic stuff--
particularly AN fittings!

I even saw an Apollo space capsule in one yard-- stenciled Boilerplate #14.
I bought a few electronics items out of that capsule just to have something
with an "Apollo" nameplate on it. ...sort of like having a piece of the
Wright Brothers airplane.

Regards,  Neil      Tucson, AZ