Re: cam bearings clearances

To: Scott Cowle <scowle@mentorcollege.edu>,
Subject: Re: cam bearings clearances
From: Doug Odom <popms@thegrid.net>
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 15:19:51 -0800
        Scott, I took a a set of cam bearings off the shelf and measured them
myself today. Took a cam out of the box and measured it also. Looked up in the
Michigan/Clevite bearing book and the spec's where the same. Sometimes the books
are wrong and I didn't want to send you down the wrong road. Shaft size +/-
.0005 should be
#1.  1.998 / 1.999    bore size in block   2.130
#2   1.982 / 1.983                                 2.114
#3   1.967 / 1.968                                 2.099
#4   1.951 / 1.952                                 2.083
#5   1.748 / 1.749                                 1.788

It takes about $400 worth of tools to install cam bearings, so I know you don't
want to spend that much for just one or two blocks. If you have these
measurements you should not have a tight bearing but if you do you need to find
out which one it is. the 2 end ones are easy because you can just put the cam
into the bearing from each end of the block. For the other 3 you will need to
put some bluing or even a marks-a-lot will do on the bearing. Install a cam and
turn it a couple times. Pull it out and see where it is rubbing. Take a bearing
knife or deburring knife or even a lathe cutting tool and fasten it to the
middle of a ( 25" inch or longer) steel rod. Insert through the cam bore and
scrape until you can turn the cam easily. Now take a 3/8 inch rod about 25" long
and cut a slot in the end of it with a saw. Take some of that 3M scotch brite
type material and cut a strip about an inch wide and 6 inches long. Slid the
material into the slot. Put the other end of the rod into a drill motor and
stick into the cam bearing and polish the bearing. Fit the cam again to be
sure.  I know this works. This is the way I have to fit cam bearings into a damn
Buick 401 block, they are really screwed up.        Doug