FW: Aircraft story ... addendum to book suggestions

To: "land-speed@autox.team.net" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Aircraft story ... addendum to book suggestions
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:15:41 -0800
List,

This was forwarded by Ron Christensen, the voice on our USFRA Salt Flats
Radio 1610.  Sounds like "Sled Driver" would be worth reading.

Wes

----------
From: "Ron Christensen" <ron.christensen@wsapr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:12:02 -0700
To: "Roger Gisseman" <RGisseman@CO.SLC.UT.US>
Cc: "W S Potter" <wester6935@attbi.com>, "Win Phelps" <win359@yahoo.com>,
"Stieg" <axel_rod@msn.com>, "Ron & Ann Hedstrom" <ihavnus4u@earthlink.net>,
"Chas. L. Shaffer" <k7nw@arrl.net>
Subject: FW: Aircraft story

In his book, Sled Driver, SR- 71/ Blackbird pilot Brian Shul  writes:

"I'll always remember a certain radio exchange that occurred one day as Walt
(his backseater) and I were screaming across Southern California, 13 miles
up.

We were monitoring various radio transmissions from other aircraft and the
Los Angeles Air Traffic Control Center as we entered the Los Angeles area
airspace."

"Though they didn't really control us, the Center did monitor our movement
across their scope. I heard a single-engine Cessna ask for a readout of its
groundspeed. "90 knots", Center replied.

Moments later, a Twin Beech requested the same. "120 knots," Center
answered. "We weren't the only ones proud of our groundspeed that day; as
almost instantly an F/A-18 smugly transmitted, "Ah, Center, Dusty 52
requests groundspeed readout."

"There was a slight pause, then the response, "525 knots on the ground,
Dusty".

"Another silent pause. As I was thinking to myself how ripe a situation this
was, I heard a familiar click of a radio transmission coming from my
backseater. It was at that precise moment I realized Walt and I had become a
real crew, for we were both thinking in unison. "Center, Aspen 20, you got
a groundspeed readout for us?"

There was a longer than normal pause... "Aspen 20, I show 1,742 knots."

No further inquiries were heard on that frequency

In another famous SR-71 story, Los Angeles Center reported receiving a
request for clearance to FL 60 (60,000ft). The incredulous controller, with
some disdain in his voice, asked, "How exactly do you plan to get up to
60,000 feet?

The pilot (obviously a sled driver), responded, "Well Center, we don't plan
to go up to it ...... we were hoping to go down to it." He was cleared
immediately...

[demime 0.99d.1 removed an attachment of type image/jpeg which had a name of
SR71.jpg"; x-mac-creator="4D534945"; x-mac-type="4A504547]