RE: Hindenburg Flames

To: "'chrispile'" <chrispile@cox.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Hindenburg Flames
From: "Clay, Dale" <Dale.Clay@mdhelicopters.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 07:04:36 -0700
The amazing thing to me, on seeing those films, is that 2/3 of the people
aboard survived!

Dale C.

                Subject:        Hindenburg Flames

                List -

                Yes, a few years back there was a 2 hour special on the
History Channel about
                the Hindenburg disaster and what caused the flames. (Keep in
mind that the
                famous film was originally black and white, and has since
been colorized per
                the colorizer's perceptions)

                 A researcher found a piece of the original silver painted
(doped) fabric of
                the Hindenburg in New Jersey - some guy had picked it up as
a kid after the
                cleanup. He burned part of it in a controlled test with a
piece of fabric that
                he doped with a period-specific formula - and they both
burned orange. The
                orange color was reported by many eye-witnesses in the
periodicals of the day.
                The faint blue color was witnessed also on the opposite side
of the Hindenburg
                from the camera, OK?

                Now then - what started the fire? A hydrogen leak, a bomb,
or lightning from
                the low clouds? (That's why the ship was late in mooring -
they were waiting
                for the clouds to clear) The theory now is that lightning
ignited the doped
                cloth (somebody reported seeing a"spark" on the side
opposite the camera), and
                the resulting heat expanded the hydrogen which was in bags
inside the envelope
                of the doped fabric, thus resulting in the fatal fire.

                So here we are all these years later, and people still freak
out when somebody
                mentions using hydrogen as a fuel. I suppose it might be
because the USA has
                used it in bombs, too. Who knows? My guess is land racers
are smart enough to
                use it safely, but I'm not a qualified rules maker just yet.
Besides - nitro
                is cooler!

                Chris Pile AKA aircap

entities other than the intended recipient or employees of
MD Helicopters, Inc. is prohibited.   If you received this in error, please
contact the sender by email and delete the material from any computer..