Hydrogen

To: "LSR-List" <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Hydrogen
From: "Elon" <netstuff@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 2003 00:13:00 -0800
Mayf said (snip...) " However, transferring the stuff from one tank to
another might be bothersome because the transfer has to take place at a high
pressure and a leak there might be hard to deal with. When it burns you
cannot see it. Look at the shuttle main engines when they are lit. You can
see right into the rocket motor."

Mayf, the shuttle is burning at a stoichiometric correct mixture. LOX is
added...it does make a difference inflame color (or lack of). I worked on a
high pressure (5,000 psi) H2 experiment for a year. Occasionally, we would
get a extremely small leak through a copper conflat flange (usually used in
vacuum work). The pressure was so high that the friction through the tiny
leak caused enough heat to ignite the H2 with no other ignition source
present. Right at the leak the flame was invisible (for about 1") however
further down stream there would be visible orange or yellow color as it
dissipated into the room. Total flame length was usually about 2-3ft. We
felt very comfortable working around the equipment. We were far more
concerned about the very high pressure (i.e., fittings, hose pressure
ratings, and safety factors) than we were about the contents or flammability
of H2.   -Elon