RE: F1 Racers Traction Control and stuff

To: <Nt788@aol.com>, <mullaneb@mccc.edu>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: F1 Racers Traction Control and stuff
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 12:36:38 -0600
Jack:
for me, LSR is a great spectator sport (although I like it even better as a
competitor!).  I think a lot of folks on the list would agree.

But I think that agree with you in that I think-- if our sport ever gets TOO
popular-- it could ruin it for those of us who love it now.

In my opinion, what is ruining the competitiveness in F1 is...
1. the width of the cars.  Only a few places that they are physically able
to get around each other
2. too much dependance on aero downforce.  They can't even get close to each
other without losing most of their traction-- so how the hell do you pass?

To me, computerization of the driving functions appears to be a non-issue.
I don't think Schuey, Villeneuve, Montoya, or anyone else can go nearly is
fast as they are going at present w/o computerization of many of the
functions.  I believe that F1 today is beyond the capability of any human to
do that many different functions, that quickly.  I like having the driver
able to concentrate on hitting his braking and accel points, and keeping the
car on a perfect line through the corners.  And I like hi-tech, and
computerization.

On the other hand. the racing could be just as enjoyable if the computers
are eliminated-- but we will have to focus our enjoyment on how well the
driver shifts gears, etc.  The phenomenal speeds-- and the hi-tech
interest-- will greatly diminish.  For me, that's not much different than
watching NASCAR race Laguna; fun, but really a different thing.

Just my opinion.
Russ, #1226B