RE: Motorcycle Carb Air Induction

To: "Tom Neimeyer" <tneimeyer@houston.rr.com>,
Subject: RE: Motorcycle Carb Air Induction
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 16:10:11 -0600
Tom:
I don't have much expertise in this, but I have done a little studying (and
I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night).

Seems to me that trying to get maximum flow out of your carb inlet would not
be a very big priority, if you are throwing-away a significant part of that
flow out your wastegate.  Why not run with an air cleaner-- dump a little
less out the wastegate-- and give your engine better protection?

As to where to put the inlet (especially if you agree that you should use an
air cleaner) I'd put the inlet in the highest-pressure area of the bike
(probably right in front of that W-I-D-E engine block).  That should improve
the (dynamic) Cd some, as your engine sucks-in part of that high-pressure
"bubble".

Hate to disagree with Dick J. and Jon-- but my studies suggest that velocity
stacks are only relevant to the extent that they interact with the pulses
generated by the intake valves (yes?  no?).  If that is the case, I doubt
that these pulses will communicate to the stack through the compressor on
your turbocharger.  When I was working w/ CART, I never saw any "bells" or
tuned lengths on those turbo inlets, and many of the cars didn't even use
scoops-- just a "hole".

As they say-- just my 2 cents worth.
Russ, #1226B