Re: 333 thanks

To: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>, Jack Costella <Nt788@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: 333 thanks
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2003 15:50:27 -0800 (PST)
 W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com> wrote: ... ... On the Markley DeSoto in the
Hoffman Metal Products liner ... ... That little engine sure doesn't sound like
just over 300 cubes.

Wes, it's not only the "in one side and out the other" heads on those ole
hemis, it's the bore to stroke ratio that a couple of those engines had. I
would guess that they are running a 3.625 X 3.625.  That was a magic
combination years ago.  That same bore and stroke could also be achieved by
cross-breeding a 1955 Chrysler 301 poly with 1955 331 hemi heads.  A hemi bore
and stroke combination that never existed in nature.  That old "D" hemi was
kinda like the 302 Z-28 SBC - it was a combination of pieces that just fell
together and made magic that was hard to duplicate with anything else.  All my
life I've been intrigued by that early hemi set-up, and that's what I now have
sitting in my shop waiting to find it's way into an altered coupe.  I bought
the block in west Texas, the Heads in California, the frame in Louisiana and
the body in Ohio. I've spent probably hundreds of hours off-line with some of
the really old hemi guys getting advice on how to set the old hemi up.  I don't
pretend that I'm going to have anything close to the Markley motor, but I will
hear my "D" hemi  "sing" at least once in my lifetime.

Dick J In East Texas