FW: all quiet on the eastern front...

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: all quiet on the eastern front...
From: "Jon Wennerberg" <jonw@up.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 09:50:25 -0500
Subject: RE: all quiet on the eastern front...

Nancy and I moseyed down to Lee Shierts' shop in Charlotte, NC, last
weekend.  We dropped off both of our bikes so he can sprinkle some pixie
dust on them.  We stayed in Charlotte about two hours -- had to get back to
Marquette quick so my probation officer didn't catch on that I had left
town.  That's why we didn't go to the Maxton workbee.  Also we didn't know
about it 'til I checked the email Sunday night at a motel in lower Michigan,
but that's just an excuse.

Now that there's a turbo on Nancy's 250 we thought it might be wise to see
if we can improve its' chances for a long and fun life - 25# boost at 14k
rpm might stress the stock parts sorta severely.  And my 12R needs some
refarbulating and such -- the computer never did get set up and sensor-ed up
to run like it oughta.  And the new bodywork now'll have a new air duct to
fit it -- I ran without it at El Mirage.  Mighta helped keep scuffing from
all the dust down, though. . .  I don't know if Lee'll be done in time for
the March race at Maxton -- but April, for sure.

Let's see:  The 2002 pickup I got last june has 38,000 miles on it.  We get
12-14 towing the trailer, maybe as much as 16mpg without, but obviously I
don't spend much time without something behind the truck.  It's the GM 5.3L
motor with the overdrive auto trans.  As we motored north Monday, headed
home, I toted up the fuel consumption and we chatted about the cost of
driving these days.  After about seven minutes I commented:  "We've just
talked about it for a dollar."  Oh, my aching credit card - and we're
planning on driving three trips to the Salt this year. . .

What'd we decide that the diesel pickups get?  Didn't the Cummins/Dodge do
'way better than the Ford or GM diesels?

Deep enough for now!

Jon
Seldom Seen Slim Land Speed Racing
Marquette, Michigan