Re: SCTA motorcycle modified wheelbase maximum

To: Joe Amo <jkamo@rap.midco.net>
Subject: Re: SCTA motorcycle modified wheelbase maximum
From: "todd" <todd@twinjugs.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 09:13:31 -0500
Joe, talked to Wink and it's verified.... Must be a "minimum" of 68" wb to
run in an altered class. That's the best way to put it as that is the
reasoning behind it. In other words, although 68" is the maximum you can have
to run in modified it was setup more for the fact of keeping it as a minimum
for altered. I'm not going into the why the decision was made and all as
that's SCTA's decision and up to someone like Wink to explain, but the way I
understand it is if you don't have a 68"+ wheelbase you aren't going to run
in an altered class under SCTA... and ECTA is following suit as much as
possible to some point(to be decided).
I can't speak for SCTA and barely for ECTA at this point, but it is being
looked at by ECTA for those that have ran modified in the past and what kind
of bi to enact for entrants that can show they've ran their 68"-72" bike in a
modified class in the past(Maybe a 1 year grandfathering clause as you
mention would be good? SCTA is not going to do this though and it's possible
that ECTA will not either, time will tell).
I've found a couple little things I can do to suffice my bike I'm building as
it hasn't ran in a modified class in it's present for6m(ie: new wheelbase). I
think it's only right I make the neccesary changes to abide by the new ruling
for that reason. That and the fact that if I start running altered I will
have to change way more then the wheelbase to be able to take full advantage
of the altered class(ie: smaller fuel cell, lower seating, foot control
positioning, etc.) as i've built this to take the modified class to it's
fullest extent for both maxton and bonnevile).
Hope this helps and I might be able to answer a couple questions on it but
you may want to wait to call SCTA until after the rulebook is in your hand
(should be very shortly). And ECTA questions should probably be held off
another week or two for a final decision to be made.
Todd Dross

Joe Amo wrote
> they talked of making it harder to change classes.....
> that way the old days and MANY records with one vehicle
> in one day or event
> ala Scotty Guthrie would be by the wayside,
> and the records attempted now would be to different
> vehicle parameters  than the records set before them, as far as some
> of the rules
> Scotty will have an even bigger smile from now on :)
*No comment whatsoever - lol

> Rule number one (if running a bike):
> Dont work on your bike until may or so when you
> have the new rule book
*I hear ya... but for us concrete junkies it's kind of tough when they try
for a new record in MARCH.

> seriously,  I have shown up to find that
> SIGNIFICANT rule changes(non safety) have been made
> with NO advance notice,  IE DISPLACEMENT CHANGE FROM A
> 30YR PLUS STANDARD
*I agree this isn't a good thing on any level and "personally" don't care to
see rule changes that aren't SAFETY related(then again I'm still very green
in this sport and am trying to learn how the oldtimers have worked thru
things like this over the years). On the other hand(like i tell those in my
shop)... That's what seperates those that will do whatever it takes to be out
there and overcome any odds thrown at them, from those that complain about
defiencies instead of taking care of them.

> it would be nice if some non safety changes could be listed in the
> rule book to take effect THE FOLLOWING year
> and it may be as simple as asking for that kind of precedence
> (its on my to do list)

*Excellent idea, especially when it comes to chassis changes that aren't
safety related... let me know what kind of response you get if you would.

> now I AM NOT complaining because its still MY DREAM to
> try and go fast,  and this is the BEST VENUE and sanctioning body
> that supports it

I'm with ya there.... I look at it like this, if there's things I'd like to
see changed or enacted I have the best chance of making a difference by being
around long enough, jumping in to lend a hand whenever possible and voicing
my thoughts in a professional manner.2

> God bless America, and the SCTA/BNI/USFRA

What, you don't want to bless ECTA? Oh, wait.. never mind, we are already
blessed! :-)

> Joe (proud father of the 3rd best 62 lb 7 yr old wrestler  in the
> badass state of South Dakota) :)
Congrads... to you and the boy!

Todd Dross