FIA Category Confusion

To: LSR List <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: FIA Category Confusion
From: Malcolm Pittwood <MPittwood@compuserve.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 16:54:01 -0400
Louise and List

I cannot find the correct reference (Appendix B) but I am relying upon
memory - probably not the best idea ever - that at one stage FIA Group 1
was described for cars "with or without supercharging".  This was repeated
for Group 3 (the diesel classes).  Group 2 was then for those solely
"without supercharging".

Hey just found the FIA regulation - It was Article 199 - Classification of
land vehicles for record attempts.
"Category A Special Automobiles Group I: Engine with reciprocating otto
cycle. with or without supercharging.

Category A Special Automobiles Group II: Engine with reciprocating otto
cycle, without supercharging."

So the Summers team could have claimed both records as they were quicker
than any other blown or normally aspirated wheeldriven car in their
capacity class (over 8000cc).

The reason for remembering this might be so is because here in the UK our
National records have only one Group - "with or without supercharging".  So
the quicker cars run blowers without affecting class capacity limits.

At some stage Appendix B must have been written to produce the supercharged
and non-supercharged classes (no more with or without!) and then the mess
of putting the cars and their records into the right group as Pork Pie
noted will have occured.  Such a change might explain why there was the
confusion in some peoples minds over Al Teague not being 1% quicker than
Bob Summers?

Malcolm Pittwood, Derby, England