Re: Seat foam fitting?

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Seat foam fitting?
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 08:41:20 -0600
Keith,

Any concern about the flammability of hardware store foam?  Many of the
common foams are petrochemical in origin and have a nasty tendency to burn
quickly when exposed to flame.

The closed cell foam you can buy at sporting goods stores as a pad under
sleeping bags has a low compression rate.  That would take care of the
problem that initiated the rule book change.  What do they use for padding
in NASCAR seats?  Would Gribble have a lead from that angle?  Is the 1"
requirement for the entire seat or just in the area under your lower body?
Could you use layers of closed cell foam cut to shape in the shoulder and
neck area that are greater than 1" in thickness and still be within the new
requirement?

Wes