Re: Seat foam fitting?

To: Keith Turk <kturk@ala.net>, land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Seat foam fitting?
From: Rick Byrnes <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 14:00:45 -0400
I have been looking into foam recently and found several types that are
acceptable.  Both are fireproof, one being the same as roll material and SFI
approved.  It is available in sheet form from DSCI (Molded products for
motorsports safety), in Mooresville NC (704)6643005  I will be using this
stuff.  It is quite stiff, and not very giving.  (good for safety, not good
for comfort).  It can be formed with some application of heat from heat gun,
and glued in place or covered with material and hold in place with velcro.
Another foam for comfort is Confor Foam, the same foam used in the Apollo
Space Program.  (seats)  The material comes in 3 densities
and can be layered.  Since the new rule book does say no more than 1 inch of
foam, the highest density is probably going to be used.  This material flows
very slowly and conforms to your body, making the seat fit perfectly.  The
problem though is that in a crash I don't know if it would absorb enough of
the energy to be as effective of the stiffer foam.  It does meet aircraft
FAR 25.853, FAR 25.855 and CAL 117 fire retardant specifications.  Not
labeled SFI though.  My brother Tom is using it in his Lancair IV aircraft
as well as his Lancair 2 seater.   It is available from High Tech Foams in
Lincoln New.  (402) 4702346.
Just make sure you adjust your driving position for the padding that you
use.  I don't have enough adjustment to use more than 1 inch of anything
once I'm wearing my firesuit....Gotta loose some weight.

Rick Byrnes