Forwarded: FIA (and dreaming)

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Forwarded: FIA (and dreaming)
From: <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 00:50:56 -0600
For some reason this was sent to me rather than land-speed@autox.team.net.
If your internet access is web-capable, check out

  http://www.team.net/posting.html

mjb.
----

     From: "Mathew Sanchez" <sanchez@darkest-matter.com>
     Subject: FIA (and dreaming)
     Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:23:38 +0100

Hi there,

I joined this list back in early February as I have been interested in
Land Speed Racing, especially Bonneville for some time now. I haven't
posted up until now as I'm currently just a casual observer from over
the pond in Britain but I have read with interest the FIA stuff and feel
that the backbone of LSR is those organisations such as the SCTA. I
would like to run a car over there one one day and as such spent quite a
while looking through the various websites (USFRA, SCTA, Landracing.com
etc) and have found these to be both interesting and informative and the
people I have contacted subsequently have been very helpful and that has
persuaded me that this is a sport that, with quite a bit of effort, I
could actually get involved with. My interest has grown even more in the
past year or so and I have subsequently got hold of the SCTA 2002 rules
and taken the book apart (quite literally so I'll be getting the 2003
ASAP). The breadth of the classes is staggering and in terms of the
records it's those listed there that I would look to rather than those
of the FIA. I may be naive here but I can't help feeling that the
authority over what constitutes 'a record' lies with those that help
look after and develop the sport, with LSR I can't see that this is
the FIA, though I can understand that there are some running some pretty
serious kit that might want ratification from them.

A question, is it OK to post dumb questions here? I mailed a few
individuals at the USFRA a while back, every question was answered and
they were very helpful but I can't keep mailing the same guys as I
reckon they probably have better things to do than answer questions
they've probably answered a million times before. I think I have a lot
of dumb questions.

Cheers, Mat.

Mathew Sanchez
UK, near London.