Re: Motorcycle Tire Width

To: todd <todd@twinjugs.com>
Subject: Re: Motorcycle Tire Width
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:13:13 -0400
I will not claim to much about a motorcycle but there a couple of things in this
explanation that don't make sense.. The analogy while interesting has nothing to
do with a tire.. Every time you let air out of a tire the rolling resistance
goes up and the lower you go the worse it gets.. A taller tire will always give
a larger contact patch if the width is held constant. You have to look at it
from a side view not vertical. Just measure the contact patch length wise while
sitting on the bike. You may need some help here as it is hard to sit on the
bike and measure the tire ..LOL.. Letting air out changes the wheel rate of the
suspension and increases drag. If you have no springs or shocks then the tire is
the suspension.
Dave Dahlgren