Re: Motorcycle Tire Width

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Motorcycle Tire Width
From: "todd" <todd@twinjugs.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 07:40:50 -0500
Dave, the analogy was simply to say I think there is a happy medium in most
all situations like this. And Tom said he is looking at increasing width not
diameter as the subject stated. These are not square car tires so the width
increase of the contact patch is much less then the increase in mm of the
overall tire due to the tire being round and not square. The contact patch on
a bike tire is measured from a vertical(birds eye) view(and best done with a
very thin material that will show the patch "width" when ridden across, or
the actual patch measurement when lowered onto the material without rolling
the vehicle... such as baby powder). This is an oval patch and not a
rectangular patch as on a car tire(which in my opinion should be done the
same way to get a correct reading). The only thing it doesn't take into
effect is pressure from acceleration and suspension(which I believe a
videocam correctly placed in 2 positions will help to see) , but this
(babypowder tire patch) is used as a baseline between tires and nothing more.
YMMV, but this has worked very well for me to show customers how little they
are gaining by replacing the 130mm tire on a stock harley with a 140mm tire.
Todd-