RE: Injectors

To: "'Dana'" <dana@goulston.net>, "'Land Speed'"
Subject: RE: Injectors
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2003 10:50:51 -0500
Dana;

No, it doesn't matter. The injector is operated by a solenoid winding inside
the injector body. When current is run through it, it generates a magnetic
field and that pulls up the pintle, letting fuel spray from the injector
tip. A 'Fuel injector" is actually a spray nozzle with a high-speed on/off
valve built in.

The only way the polarity would matter is if the pintle were a polarized
permanent magnet or if the injector included a clamp diode across its
solenoid winding. I haven't run across either case. One of these days,
someone may realize that if the pintle were made as a polarized permanent
magnet, it could be closed by reversing the current through the solenoid
rather than relying on spring pressure alone. I think a higher RPM injector
could be built this way.

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ