Re: Captain J. S. Irving

To: Skip Higginbotham <saltrat@pro-blend.com>
Subject: Re: Captain J. S. Irving
From: Ugo Fadini <ugo@ugofadini.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 23:56:33 +0200
>List,
>I was reading, in the "Radial Times", October, 1934, an article by Captain
>J.S.Irving of the U.K. who apparently designed the car ("The Golden Arrow")
>that Seagrave drove to a land speed record in 1929 at 231.44. In the
>article Irving discusses his design for a 350 MPH car and specifies design
>criteria including frontal area, downforce and "side area that places the
>Cp aft of the Cg". It is a good article and food for thought.
>My question is.....did Irving write other design discussions regarding LSR?
>I cannot find reference to him on the net. I also cannot find information
>on the "Golden Arrow".
>Obviously I am not looking in the right place....thanks for any help,
>Skip

Skip,
the  Institution of Automobile Engineers published a very detailed
essai by Captain Irving titled "The Golden Arrow and the World's
Speed record" in 1930, actually the text of a speech he gave to the
Institution in March 1930. Fifty plus pages of text, data, diagrams
and even the discussion that followed. It was published in the
collection of the Institution proceedings for 1930 and also as a
separate booklet.
It is a pretty hard to get thing, but it does occasionally turn out
in the second hand motiring literature market in the UK.
If you are just interested in getting more information on the Golden
Arrow, then get Vol 2 (1920-1929) of Brooklands Books "The Land Speed
Record", a collection of contemporary magazine articles on the LSR,
which you can get from any good motoring book dealer.
Actually, everyone interested in the LSR history should get all 5 vols!!
Hope this helps
--
Ugo Fadini
in Padova, Italy