Re: 1 hour turnaround time

To: Richard Fox <v4gr@rcn.com>
Subject: Re: 1 hour turnaround time
From: "Thomas E. Bryant" <saltracer@awwwsome.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 14:00:28 -0700
Richard,

I hadn't thought about it during this discussion, but we did have a 1
hour time limit to service your vehicle. It is amazing what can be done
in one hour, however.

In those days, the position I filled, during record runs was the nine
mile post, sending the long course cars back on their second leg of
record runs. In 1966, I remember, during that hour of time, Al Thayer
changed a piston that he burned on the down run. He returned, gaining a
200.897 Record and 200 MPH Club Membership.

Some of you may remember Al. He died, at a much too early age, a very
few years later. He ran a Studebaker with a 300 cu. in. Supercharged
Chrysler (C/FC) and had a tow truck that was a retired electrical
service truck with all the lock boxes on each side. He had the best
stock things that you might need of anyone on the Salt. I remember him
as a smiling face, a good friend and avid racer.

Tom, Redding CA - #216 D/GCC