oil heat-up

To: land-speed@autox.team.net
Subject: oil heat-up
From: tom sarda <sardatech@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 09:42:23 -0700 (PDT)
Dr Mayf,
 To answer your question,
 yes we heat the in the race motor as much as possible
and treat it like a qualifying motor. When its time to
go racing the gloves come off and by this time you
have confidence in the motor or you don't. Also we may
change the oil as many as three times prior to a race.
As far as how long it takes the motor to heat up if we
don't preheat the oil, I don't know. We never start
the engine unless the oil is up to 220 or 230 degrees.

 Yes the valves heat the valve springs (especially the
exhaust valves) and there are oil sprayers at each
valve mounted in the valve cover and this oil spray
comes from the oil cooler under the radiator and the
direct cool oil to the springs. This is the only way
we can keep springs from breaking and thereby dropping
valves into your $40,000.00 engine.
 The oiling systems are most critical to engine
longevity and dependability. The filters and lines are
most meticulously cleaned after each race.
 Hope this helps.
 Tom