RE: Torque Converter Slippage

To: "Landspeed Louise Ann Noeth" <landspeedlouise@adelphia.net>,
Subject: RE: Torque Converter Slippage
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 00:36:46 -0500
Dave, Louise:
I've been a fan of this concept of "infinitely variable" power transmission
for a little over four decades now.  I recall a little "euromobile" car that
began using the expanding pulley/ contracting pulley v-belt mechanism back
about late-'50s-- DAF, I think it was(?); Danish(?).  2-stroke(?)

Anyway, the rap against that mechanism has always been that it won't handle
enough torque.  One (or more) of the Japanese car mfgs. has done some
development work and even a production model (Japan only, I think) and has
gotten the capacity up to 150hp, or so.

W/resp. to our LSR machines-- those with 150hp (or less) are almost all very
light, and don't need much help with acceleration (or traction-- due to the
lower power delivery requirement).  The machines that do need acceleration/
traction help (our big, heavy streamliners, for example) would destroy that
mechanism very quickly.  Someone (Skip Higginbotham, I think) was telling me
that somebody ran one at Bonneville a few years ago, anyway.

You can transmit a lot more torque with the hydraulic infinitely-variable
transmissions used in some heavy equipment (and some stationary industrial
applications).  As I'm sure you would expect, there is a lot of power loss
through such systems-- however, it's probably not as bad as the 40%
wheelslip figure I've heard for some of the big 'liners.

Easy to optimize torque delivery (with the hydraulic pump/ slave) with a
pressure sensor and a simple control algorithm.
Russ, #1226B