RE: Addendum to Nikasil coated bores

To: "'John Goodman'" <ggl205@yahoo.com>,
Subject: RE: Addendum to Nikasil coated bores
From: "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 14:03:45 -0500
John;

I've always wondered about using electroless nickel plating on cylinder
walls. It is easy to apply, it is a low-friction coating, and it heat-treats
to a high hardness, so wear should be minimal. Hard chrome plating has been
used for years in cylinders and I've wondered if electroless nickel could be
a "poor man's hard chrome".

Since electroless nickel plating deposits are pretty uniform thickness,
perhaps grinding wouldn't be necessary like it is with hard chrome.

Has anyone tried this or heard about it's being tried?

Regards, Neil     Tucson, AZ