Variable Slip Transmissions

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Variable Slip Transmissions
From: "joe lance" <jlance2@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 17:27:09 -0400
Just a crazy thought, when I was working I did a lot of work with
magnetohydrodynamic devices ( electrically conducting liquids, high
temperature ionized gases ) for electrical power generation and propulsion.
Also considered magneto rheological fluids for all kinds of control devices
and interesting "hickeys" as long as 40 years ago.

Now ,some of the new shock absorbers use computer controlled magneto
rheological fluids to adjust damping rates continously and almost
instantaneously.

Seems to me one could design a transmission, using a magneto rheologic fluid
in a fluid coupling, with the electromagnetic side computer controlled, to get
the ideal amount of slip for both the instantaneous engine horsepower and
torque characteristics as well as instantaneous degree of traction, so as to
get the maximum acceleration from start to max speed and to maintain the max
stable top speed even if you get variations in traction.

I'd start writing a patent disclosure if I wasn't having so much fun
remodeling an old house and a new wife.

lance