Variable slip transmissions/MHD

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>, "John Goodman" <ggl205@yahoo.com>
Subject: Variable slip transmissions/MHD
From: "joe lance" <jlance2@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 22:20:35 -0400
  John, List

  I was thinking in terms of transmissions and using magneto-rheological fluid
(MRF) shocks as kind of an introduction.  MRF shocks are a done deal,developed
by GM and Delphi, and used on the new Cadillac XLR and the new Vettes
?----they use sensors and computer control to adjust damping continously and
near instantaneously by magnetically changing the viscosity of the shock
fluid.

  I was thinking in terms of a continously variable transmission ( CVT)----if
one could sense engine RPM and torque and wheel slip on a continous, real time
basis, then it would be neat if you could then electrically and/or
magnetically control the CVT slip and torque multiplication near
instantaneously to achieve both max acceleration and a stable max speed even
if traction varies along the run due to both surface and aero effects.

  A crude system could be built around a 1955--1958 Dynaflow transmission by
feeding the engine and traction sensor data to a computer and using the
computer to control the angle of the variable stator blades in the old
Dynaflow.  But the control range would be limited and you'd be stuck with the
old Dynaflow's unwanted slip and inefficiency and it might have too slow a
response time ( maybe run the Dynaflow at a 2 to 1 Rpm ratio near max torque
converter efficiency point ? -- redesign the stator? )

  So I thought there may be a way to design a new type of high efficiency,
controllable slip "torque converter" CVT without gears,belts,clutches,etc
using either the MRF technique , MHD, or both in some combination.

  MHD, or magnetohydrodynamics, deals with electrically conducting liquids or
ionized gases, but I think the liquids would be the choice for a new type of
CVT.  I'll think about it somemore---an MHD / MRF CVT most likely won't look
like an old Dynaflow torque converter since magnetic fields and electrical
power would be needed to make it work---size and weight are also a factor---we
used to say that "an elephant is a mouse designed to a Westinghouse
specification"

  Maybe some one on the List will think of way to couple sensors/computers,
use MRF, in modified production torque converter or a fluid coupling trans to
achieve the objectives.

  lance