Re: what transmission should I seek? Synth Lube?

To: "Waldron, James" <James.Waldron@CWUSA.COM>,
Subject: Re: what transmission should I seek? Synth Lube?
From: Rick Byrnes <Rick@rbmotorsports.com>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 11:19:11 -0400
Bob,
I have used a BW T5 behind the turbo motor.  A Production trans made for a 5
litre ford.  It held up extremely well except for 5th which is a cheap
overhung gear outside the main box.  Being supported by only one bearing it
did fail.  I ran this box with 15W50 Mobil 1 engine oil.  Shifting was much
improved.  Several of my ford friends have used the same lube on the street
and track for many years.  I switched to the TREMAC and had equally good
luck with a much higher torque values.  I was making in excess of 525 lbs ft
when we switched from the T5.  I think with the number of units around it
may be a good choice.
After the 5th gear failures though I used only 4 speeds.
Since Jim asked about lubes, I've been using Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube all
along with a ford 9".  The containers no longer call the lube Hypoid gear
lube.  Has a change occurred or do they just call everything gear lube.
Jerico wants "gear lube" but the rear wants hypoid.  Anyone????

Rick