Re: what transmission should I seek? Synth Lube?

To: "Waldron, James" <James.Waldron@CWUSA.COM>,
Subject: Re: what transmission should I seek? Synth Lube?
From: "James Tone" <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 11:04:05 -0700
Two replies here on my answer to Bob.
We tried a sythentic lube in a 39 Ford trans at the lakes and could no
longer shift it.(worked perfect before with 90 wt in it) Found out later the
synthetic didn't like the old syncros.  No reasonable explanation; just
didn't work.  We then put in 30 engine oil and it worked OK.  Remember the
car was not used daily and we were looking to "lower the resistance" to gain
what horse power we could.
 Second a Saginaw 4-speed was used in 100,000's GM cars using a much wider
tire than we do on much better traction.  You can spend cubic $$$ on
everthing you want but some times the simplest things work the best.  That's
why he asked the questions and why we all give our opinions. I just love it.
Why would I spend $3000 or more on a trans that may suck up 50 HP I could
not afford to loose.  Even Nascar guys won't do that.
I had a private phone conversation with Bob on tires for the speeds he is
looking at running.  Most of them are no longer made.  He found an outlet
for one of them and I bought 2 new ones for the front of my roadster,  Be a
shame to loose one and not be able to replace it.  Now thanks to him I will
carry them as spares.
The list is great for this. Minus the For Sale parts that is.......J.D.Tone