Wickerbill or Gurney Flaps...

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wickerbill or Gurney Flaps...
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 15:07:20 -0700
Well, I finally surfed enough to see what a Gurney Flap or wickerbill is.
And as it applies to an aero device it is misplaced on the spoiler and is
likely causing a lot of inneeded drag. In order for it to do it's job, both
surfaces of the airfoil must have flow becaues the principle is that the
flap creates a small low pressure behind it which prevents the flow on the
other surface from separating, thusly creating more down force. And since
the spoilers are a single air foil surface, all it does is create drag. Bad
idea in my estimation. Ok for a true airfoil like Dan used on the can am
cars but not this as defined by the rule book. No wonder they are allowed.

mayf, the strange red necked ignorant desert rat in PAH rump...