The New Toy

To: "John Beckett" <saltracer@servusa.com>, <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: The New Toy
From: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 22:45:32 -0500
This car is 4" less then a Healey.... or 48 Vs 52 inches... and yep... it
needs the wheel well room for the tires that are on the back of the
Camaro... which is about the minimum tire for Maxton...

Currently it's got Goodyear front runner LSR tires on it... so I've got to
stick with what it has for the near term future....

I've had a blast listening to everyone about taking it apart.....  I love
it... each and everyone of us has seen someone buy something and take it
apart day one and NEVER get it back together.... That isn't what I'm doing
at all.... the car is going to run as is at Speedweek if I can convince
myself that it's current state of repair is adequate.... ( trust me I just
spent 6 hours doing that and it's going to be fine )   What I won't do is
buy it and just drive it like I stole it.... the speeds this thing is
capable of are just to fast to accept anything.... I've got to see it myself
and make sure each piece is in perfect condition....  I'm not trying to make
changes as much as I want to inspect the bits and pieces...  Call it a
through cleaning and inspection....

The only thing I've found so far that really needs anything are the King
pins... and they just need to be cleaned and re-installed.....  The Front
wheel bearings are fine.... but obviously re-packing them is on my To-Do
list.... it's that sorta thing I'm doing right now...

Basically I'm staring at it... talking to myself .... the thing is an
amazing piece of work.... the engineering that went into the car is of
exceptional quality.... the guy really did build a Nice race car...

Keith