Re: Race car wiring

To: Richard Fox <v4gr@rcn.com>
Subject: Re: Race car wiring
From: Dave Dahlgren <ddahlgren@snet.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 04:38:23 -0400
The major cost of wiring a car is the tooling it takes to do the job correctly.
A few crimpers of good design are around 75 to 130 each they are not from Napa a
good set of strippers is somewhere around 30 or 40 so I have 250 gone before i
buy the wire. Connectors and heatshrink is somewhere around 30 or 40 for a good
assortment of ones that will last, weatherpack or metri-pack and some brazed
barrel lugs of different sizes.. Wire you need 8 or 10 different colors in
various gauges that is not 'primary wire ' if it is going to last. On the colors
i have some personal rules. Every black wire is a ground, every red wire is
+battery, every orange wire is +5,every brown wire is a sensor return..Other
color wires are for things like switches and to identify a particular circut.
You still should cover the harness somehow and that adds it's own expense. I was
working on the idea that someone owns nothing to wire anything.

We never meet at Bonneville because i am like many others and am focused on what
I am doing and just have this tunnel vision thing going where all i can see is
the next 1 hour from where I am now and what I have to get done before the next
hour arrives. I generally socialize after a car is in impound but that has not
happened lately to my dismay.