RE: to buy or not to buy??????

To: <ardunbill@webtv.net>, "Albaugh, Neil" <albaugh_neil@ti.com>,
Subject: RE: to buy or not to buy??????
From: "Russel Mack" <rtmack@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 10:41:40 -0500
Bill:
I think one thing you can read between the lines in what Neil wrote is that
most of out LSR efforts stress most kinds of rods well above 60% of yield.
(Super rods-- like Carillos-- may be an exception, in all but the most
powerful engines).

In classes that allow enough power to be produced that engine parts often
approach overstress-- rod strength is typically a key limiting factor.  I'm
no expert in flatties or Arduns, but I've learned enough from you to know
that the block simply won't hold tremendous horsepower-- so in that case, it
probably doesn't take very exotic rods to avoid overstressing those parts.

Russ, #1226B

p.s.: I think IT IS possible to predict the useful life of a set of rods
with useful accuracy, if one is willing to prioritize the time to collect
the data and to do the calculations.  Neil has told you exactly the
methodology that Reliability Engineers use-- and they make similar
predictions routinely, for a process called "predictive maintenance".