RE: non-lsr D-DAY

To: Jim Webb <jimwebb@nutsracing.com>, Sparky <wmtsmith@landracing.com>,
Subject: RE: non-lsr D-DAY
From: Dick J <lsr_man@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2003 06:37:15 -0700 (PDT)
My uncle was a D-Day veteran and it was he who inspired me to serve thirty
years in uniform.  Recalling his story, I can only begin to imagine what it
must have been like.  He boarded the ship as a PFC, when they hit the beach his
squad leader was killed when the ramp opened and he instantly assumed the job
in sergeant's place, but that lasted less than an hour and he was moved up to
platoon leader and made an acting lieutenant.  Before the end of the day, still
on the beach, he was promoted to company commander and the rank of captain.  He
then encountered a mine and lost an arm, a leg, hearing in one ear, and  an
eye.  He was permanently retired at the rank of major with 100% disability.  I
saw combat in Vietnam and Panama, but I can still only imagine what D-Day must
have been like.  I render a firm salute to any veteran of that day!
Dick J in East Texas
.
Jim Webb <jimwebb@nutsracing.com> wrote:
Bill,

Right on. Anybody that knows anything about this day in history couldn't
help but stop and think. Especially in light of the last technology-driven
war, the actual events of D-Day are almost beyond belief. May it never come
to that again.

Jim Webb