Re: records

To: Glen Barrett <speedtimer@charter.net>, dpulju
Subject: Re: records
From: W S Potter <wester6935@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 11:42:31 -0600
On the Bonneville Salt Flats you must be a member of the sponsoring
organization.  At World of Speed that is the Utah Salt Flats Racing
Association.  Membership is $35 per year.  The event entry fees vary
depending on how early you enter.  With a July cut off for WoS (details at
www.saltflats.com) it's worth your time to get your entry in before the
cut-off date because it costs more to pay at the race.  The driver of the
car and the owner of the car both need to be members.  Every car or
motorcycle ... or bar stool for that matter ... must pay a $15 course
preparation fee, whether the event is held or not, as was the case with our
rain-out last year.  The course still has to be prepared for the racers.

Jim Zupan is preparing a new drag to be used this year.  The old one ended
up being pulled by some over enthusiastic people and it dinged the I beams.
That salt is HARD!  Fuel and maintenance on the trucks costs too.  The
course doesn't magically appear, it has to be surveyed, worked, marked and
maintained, and it all costs money.

The sponsoring organizations handle timing eyes, wire and computers, markers
along the course and such and those costs are part of your event entry fee.

There are no club points at Bonneville so a record speed is certified for
the rule book as long as you are the fastest vehicle in your class at any of
the three sanctioned meets.

Wes