Old Dogs, New Tricks, and Humble Pie...

To: <land-speed@autox.team.net>
Subject: Old Dogs, New Tricks, and Humble Pie...
From: "DrMayf" <drmayf@teknett.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 17:16:01 -0700
Well, Dave nattered at me enough to see his way of thinking on the article
about Effective Compression Ratio on my web site. Dad gummit, he's correct!
Now I gotta do it all over again. Basically, I had ignored the effect of the
temperaure rise during compression (a mistake I did not make in the turbo
calcs, by the way and it was ignored because of the math involved). And that
is significant at running speeds. Not too noticable when cranking to get a
compression test value because the motor is generally cold and the heat of
compression is easily lost. But when things are at operating temp and that
puppy is running, the temp stays up and a smaller amount of heat is
transferred to the heads and piston top. If you have an air compressor just
grab the pipe that comes from the compressor to the tank. Yikes! HOT!.

Dave, I owe ya one! Catch me on the salt for reward.

mayf